Chronometer Thomas Mercer to Commodore Geoffrey Thomas Phipps Hornby, 1864

Chronometer Thomas Mercer to Commodore Geoffrey Thomas Phipps Hornby, 1864
Cronometro (riserva di carica 56h), prodotto dalla Thomas Mercer nel 1864 e appartenuto al Commodoro (Capitano di Vascello) Geoffrey Thomas Phipps Hornby, ovvero colui che diventerà da li a breve, Comandante in Capo dello Squadrone dell'Africa Occidentale, Comandante in Capo dello Squadrone Volante e successivamente Comandante in capo dello Squadrone del Canale. Continuò la sua carriera  arrivando al grado di Comandante in Capo della Flotta Mediterranea, Presidente del Royal Naval College di Greenwich ed infine Comandante in Capo dell'intera Flotta Navale Inglese.
Questo Cronometro, risulta essere uno dei più antichi segnatempo attualmente  conosciuti prodotti dalla Thomas Mercer, azienda  fondata nel 1858.
Geoffrey Thomas Phipps Hornby fu promosso al grado di Commodoro nel 1865 anno in cui questo Cronometro fu privatamente da lui acquistato, o donatogli da qualche personaggio a lui vicino, per una somma di 20 Sterline, da un rivenditore Thomas Mercer, situato a Sunderland, denominato "Noton - Nautical Optician".
Queste informazioni sono state fornite dalla Sig. Coralie della Thomas Mercer.
Perfettamente funzionante ed ottimamente conservato, è uno dei pochissimi Cronometri superstiti prodotti nel primo decennio dalla Thomas Mercer.
Il cronometro, è custodito nella sua cassetta originale realizzata con il rarissimo legno di "Calamandra" o Coromandel, un legno pesante appartenente al genere dell'ebano proveniente dal sud-est asiatico, dall'India e dallo Sri Lanka, con un colore quasi nero con strisce color nocciola. Questo legno è stato utilizzato così tanto fino alla sua estinzione e attualmente, non è disponibile nessuna quantità  per  nuovi lavori.
Sono presenti, ai lati le maniglie in ottone incastonate ed estraibili, nello stile "campagna", inoltre una placca ossea posta sul davanti, è incisa con una ripetizione dei dettagli del produttore, mentre una targa in ottone incastonata ed incisa sopra il coperchio evidenzia l'appartenenza di questo Cronometro al Commodoro  Geoffrey Phipps Hornby.
Perfettamente funzionante.

Geoffrey Phipps Hornby.
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Geoffrey Thomas Phipps Hornby GCB (10 February 1825 – 3 March 1895) was a Royal Navy officer. As a junior officer, he saw action at the capture of Acre in November 1840 during the Egyptian–Ottoman War. As a captain he arrived at Vancouver Island with a naval brigade and found that a unit of American troops was about to take over the San Juan Islands in a dispute known as the Pig War: he used his powers of diplomacy to facilitate a peaceful handover of the islands to the United States.
Hornby went on to be Commander-in-Chief, West Africa Squadron, Commander-in-Chief of the Flying Squadron and then Commander-in-Chief, Channel Squadron. After that he became Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean Fleet, President of the Royal Naval College, Greenwich and finally Commander-in-Chief, Portsmouth.
Early Career
Born the son of Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby and Sophia Maria Hornby (daughter of General John Burgoyne), Hornby was educated at Winwick Grammar School and Southwood's School in Plymouth and joined the Royal Navy in March 1837. He was appointed, as a first class volunteer, to the first-rate HMS Princess Charlotte, flagship of the Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean Fleet and saw action at the capture of Acre in November 1840 during the Egyptian–Ottoman War. He transferred to the fourth-rate HMS Winchester, flagship of the Commander-in-Chief, Cape of Good Hope Station, in August 1842.
He went on to be mate in the sixth-rate HMS Cleopatra, in the West Africa Squadron, and took part on anti-slavery operations. Promoted to lieutenant on 15 June 1845, he became flag-lieutenant in the second-rate HMS Asia, flagship of his father, who was Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Station, in September 1847. He was promoted to commander on 12 January 1850 and to captain on 18 December 1852.
Hornby had no patron once the Aberdeen ministry came to power in December 1852 and instead cared for his father's estate at Lordington and played no part in the Crimean War. Following a change of government, Hornby became commanding officer of the frigate HMS Tribune on the Pacific Station in August 1858. When he arrived at Vancouver Island with a naval brigade, he found that a unit of American troops was about to take over the San Juan Islands in a dispute known as the Pig War. Hornby used his powers of diplomacy to facilitate a peaceful handover of the islands to the United States.
Hornby became commanding officer of the first-rate HMS Neptune in the Mediterranean Fleet in February 1861 and then became flag captain to the Commander-in-chief, Channel Squadron in the second rate HMS Edgar in May 1863. In January 1864 the squadron was instructed to shadow the ships of the Austro-Hungarian Navy on route to Prussia and to sink their ships if they bombarded Copenhagen as their answer to the Schleswig-Holstein Question.
Promoted to commodore, he became Commander-in-Chief, West Africa Squadron, with his broad pennant in the frigate HMS Bristol in September 1865. He condemned the independent rulers of West Africa for continuing to supply slaves when all civilised countries except Brazil had abolished slavery.
Senior Command
The frigate HMS Liverpool, Hornby's flagship as Commander-in-Chief of the Flying Squadron
Promoted to rear admiral on 1 January 1869, Hornby became Commander-in-Chief of the Flying Squadron, with his flag in the frigate HMS Liverpool, in June 1869 and undertook a circumnavigation of the World to demonstrate that Royal Navy could reach any part of the globe. He went on to be Commander-in-Chief, Channel Squadron, with his flag in the armoured frigate HMS Minotaur, in September 1871 and in that capacity entertained President Ulysses S. Grant at Gibraltar.
Hornby became Second Naval Lord under the Second Disraeli ministry in December 1874 and was promoted to vice admiral on 1 January 1875. He went on to be Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean Fleet, with his flag in the battleship HMS Alexandra, in January 1877. He forced his way through the Dardanelles, despite Turkish protests, in a display of British naval power intended to deter Russian aggression during the Russo-Turkish War. Sir John Fisher, who served under Hornby in the Mediterranean Fleet, wrote that he was 'the finest Admiral afloat since Nelson. There never lived a more noble character or a greater seaman. He was incomparable'.
The naval historian Sir William Clowes, who knew him well, wrote that '... he was a natural diplomatist, and an unrivalled tactician; and, to a singular independence and uprightness of character, he added a mastery of technical detail, and a familiarity with contemporary thought and progress that were unusual in those days among officers of his standing'. Hornby was appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath on 12 August 1878.
Promoted to full admiral on 15 June 1879, Hornby became President of the Royal Naval College, Greenwich in March 1881 and went on to be Commander-in-Chief, Portsmouth in November 1882. He was advanced to Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath on 19 December 1885, appointed First and Principal Naval Aide-de-Camp to the Queen on 18 January 1886 and promoted to Admiral of the Fleet on 1 May 1888. He was appointed to the staff of the German emperor Wilhelm II during his visits to England in 1889 and 1890. He retired in February 1895 and died of influenza at Lordington House on 3 March 1895; his ashes were scattered at Compton Church.
In 1853 Hornby married Emily Frances Coles (sister of Captain Cowper Coles), with whom he had three sons and two daughters. One of his sons, Edmund Phipps-Hornby, a major in the artillery, won the Victoria Cross in South Africa in 1900; another, Robert Hornby, became an admiral in the Royal Navy.

Thomas Mercer Chronometers
Thomas Mercer Chronometers is a British company specialising in the design and production of bespoke chronometers. 
The story begins with John Harrison, as documented in Dava Sobel's book Longitude and its British television adaptation. So far, ships had been navigating with accuracy only as reards the ship’s north-south position, using the North Star and/or the Southern Cross. Determining the east-west position of a ship and its destination was vital to the Admiralty’s, (and the Government’s), plans for further expansion and empire.
It was also necessary to avoid the massive losses in time, money and human life that inaccurate navigation and shipwreck caused. Lack of solutions led to the government making an Act of Parliament in 1714 offering a prize of £20,000 (£3M today). There was a whole spectrum of ideas suggested, ranging from serious (Whitton and Diston’s light-houses) to silly (using wounded dogs to yelp at set intervals). Isaac Newton was among the judges and concluded that a watch/clock would have to overcome the following challenge: a watch to keep time exactly: but by reason of the motion of the ship, the variation in heat and cold, wet and dry, and the difference in gravity at different latitudes, such a watch had not yet been made. 
The competition winner was Harrison’s Sea Watch chronometer, in essence a super-accurate clock which functioned despite the rock and roll of the ship, and enabled a hitherto unimaginable level of navigational accuracy, driving Great Britain’s maritime empire to ever greater heights. Harrison received his official award only after repeated appeals and indeed the intervention of George III.
Harrison made only four chronometers, but his work was carried on by others, and (generally London-based) chronometer houses sprang up, great names like John Arnold, Edward John Dent, Thomas Earnshaw, Charles Frodsham, Hamilton, and Robert Molyneux. They refined his work: detent, chain and fusee, grasshopper escapement, and other developments informed their creations.
Founding of the company
William Walker was born in 1783 and founded a dynasty of watchmakers in St. Helens, Merseyside. His grandson, Thomas Mercer (b. 1822) was apprenticed to him. Thomas’s father, Richard Mercer, was a sailmaker, so Thomas had the horological and the nautical in his career ancestry.
Thomas moved to Liverpool to continue working as a watchmaker in 1843, and thence to London in 1854, to buy a one-way ticket to the USA, in search of new and better prospects. Seeing a chronometer in the window of John Fletcher (chronometer makers), he changed his mind about the USA, asking for work and being hired on the spot.[3] He then founded the eponymous firm Thomas Mercer Chronometers in Islington, London in 1858.
This area, (including Clerkenwell and Covent Garden), was a hotbed of creativity and retailing in the chronometer sector. It was highly competitive – as well as the British names of Dent, Frodsham, Reid, Blackie, Johnson. The British Horological Institute (BHI) was established in Clerkenwell in 1858, supposedly the first professional horological institute ever. Mercer was its honorary treasurer from 1875 to 1895, and “lectured there on the need to modernize the industry and to train young people”.
Years later, his grandson would have to be trained in France (see below) owing to lack of a college in the UK. TMC (Thomas Mercer Chronometers) remained in Clerkenwell until it moved to bigger premises in St. Albans in 1874. Chronometers were ‘rated’ for accuracy at the annual trials in Greenwich – success was often lucratively rewarded with contracts from private and public sectors.
Tom came second at the Greenwich Trials in 1881. The following year, his son Frank Mercer was born, who in later years won Greenwich first prize in 1911 with Mercer 8306. It was bought by Astronomer Royal Frank Dyson for the Greenwich Observatory. Thomas Mercer Chronometers sold many ‘white label’ pieces to middlemen, retailers who would put their own name on the dial of a chronometer made completely by TMC.
Many of these were very successful at the Greenwich Trials, but the prizes did not go to TMC. Before judging an horological competition in Paris, Tom caught an infection and died there in 1900. In 1914, Sir Ernest Shackleton set off on the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition. After his ship, the Endurance, was trapped and wrecked in pack ice, they somehow reached Elephant Island. To get assistance for his stranded men, he heroically journeyed in a whaleboat the James Caird to South Georgia. He navigated with the Thomas Mercer chronometer he carried under his jerkin.
In 1916, while serving in Egypt, Frank received a telegram from the Admiralty stating that the best way he could serve his country was to return home immediately and industrialise British chronometer production, to avoid an imminent shortage. By the 1980s, they had made a third of all chronometers in history. TMC was by far the most prolific chronometer maker ever; although it was first in terms of quantity, the firm stood also for quality and exclusivity - particularly during the years after World War II when limited series and unique pieces were introduced into its range of products.
Per migliorare l'esperienza di navigazione questo sito e terze parti utilizzano cookies o tecnologie simili per finalità tecniche e, con il tuo consenso, anche per altre finalità, come specificato nella informativa sui cookie.
Clicca su "Consenti tutti" per abilitare tutti i cookie, su "scegli" per selezionare le singole preferenze, su "nega" oppure l'icona di chiusura (x) per non consentire e proseguire la navigazione.